ADVERTISEMENT

11 down 3 to go

KnightNight

Commandant
Gold Member
Feb 24, 2008
North Carolina
The B-Ballers have officially met and exceeded my league play expectations. I would have to go back but this may be the first time Army has swept the seasonal 2 game series against 2 league foes ( Navy and Colgate). The team continues to grow and the future is looking brighter.

At 5-6 in league play, the Black Knights have secured no lower than a 6th place finish which eclispes last season's last place finish and 4-10 record. If you recall, Army was an all but unamimous pick to finish last again this season.

When sizing up the Patriot League, it would be surprise from this observer if anyone other than Bucknell & Lehigh end up in the conference championship game and auto bid to the NCAA tournement. What I see is 4 very clear quartile's in the league - 1st - Bucknell & Lehigh 2nd - American and Lafayette. 3rd - Holy Cross & Army and holding up the rear Colgate and Navy. League play has not been all that exciting as more than half of all games have been decided by double digits. Every one of Army's losses have come by 12 or more . 3 of the 5 wins have been by 12 or more. That's how it's gone all season. The only possible blimp on the scale might be between Lafayette and Holy Cross. The Crusaders have picked it up a notch and seem to be playing to expected form. For Army to earn a home game, it would take wins in 2 of the final 3 with the best chances coming agaist American today and Holy Cross on Wednesday. ( Our final game is at Lehigh - very unlikely "W"). Winning both home tilts would be more than impressive. It would mean Army would be .500 in league play for the first time ever in the Patriot League which encompasses over 20 years. It could also allow for the team's 2nd home game ever in the conference tournement.

When all is said an done, the program is moving forward but still a second class citizen in this league. A win today could help change that perception with more than a few Patriot League observers. PS - Ella Ellis is looking very good in his bid to make 1st team all-league.

I think Spiker is making noticeable headway with the program as evidenced in your observations. Remember, he is still playing with someone else's deck for the most part. With the exception of a few freshman reserves, he doesn't have a full recruiting class yet on the hardwood. Next year, his USMAPS squad, that has been developing under his system implemented there, will arrive and infuse even more of his signature on the team. As they (and subsequent recruiting classes) come in, I expect you will see a dramatic improvement in Army basketball as these recruits reflect the types of players he wants for his system. Army won't be the doormat of the Patriot League any longer, and it's quite possible in a few years they will be contenders for the league title. If I had to venture a guess, I would say 2015 will be the year Army wins the Patriot League and goes to "the dance" for the first time in West Point history. Remember where you heard it! :) Go Army! Beat Navy!
This post was edited on 2/21 12:47 AM by Airstrike

Continuity will be key. We need more size but what we need is everyone to return a little better than the year before. Like I said in an earlier note a few months back, Zach will be a very hot commodity should Army deliver 2-3 18+ wins seasons. I really doubt he'd be around for a 3rd year with that kind of winning. Must remember that every league loss this year is by 12+ points..... but those things will happen when you shot 3-21 from the 3 pt zone as they did against American this weekend. They can look very decent or horrible based on their ability to deliver on this key component of their offense. Free throw shooting however is much improved as a whole team. If they can find a way to shot 75% and get to the line 20 times/ game that will add 2-3 wins to the total annually. Overall like you Airstrike, I am optimistic thatthe arrrow is soundly pointing in the right direction.

ADVERTISEMENT