ADVERTISEMENT

The Inside Stuff GBK’s ‘Inside The Huddle’ (1/19)

Charles Grevious

Dec 23, 2009
WE ARE BACK ... as GoBlackKnights.com brings you Inside The Huddle, which will be a weekly feature once again.

26815231_10156091694398624_8455267496276219253_n.jpg

In doing so, we will share this version on The 12th Knight message board and will add weekly tidbits from Army Black Knights’ football items all the way to recruiting updates. These are blurs and tweet type subjects that we view don’t require a full and comprehensive associated article ... although one may be forthcoming down the road.

Needless to say, we encourage/welcome your comments and thoughts surrounding any and all topics that we bring to you here.

RECRUITING

On the recruiting front, the staff is putting the final touches on the 2018 recruiting class. As such, there is plenty of emphasis being directed to the 2019 prospects. As mentioned in our early morning article, ‘Army Black Knights hosting upcoming Junior Day’, which is one of several Jr. Day events being planned around the 2018 calendar.

Tons of prospects are continuing to be evaluated by the staff, while others have already passed the initial screening and have received offers .... especially several talented offensive linemen prospects.

However, one and perhaps the most notable is BIG Xavier Truss out of ‘Rhode Island’, who appears to receive a new offer or offers daily.

“I watched the game versus Navy this year, nice win,” Truss told GoBlackKnights.com even before he received an offer from the Army staff this week, as he briefly voiced his interest. “Definitely ... and they are not too far away.”

Unfortunately, the 6-foot-7, 325 pounder’s recruiting by Army was halted before it really ever got started. Because the talented prospect is color blind, he would most likely be DQ’ed going forward.

But there are several early targeted offensive linemen, who the staff appears to be very high on like Nicolas Rowan, who was just offered yesterday (more to come on his recruiting).

Rivals 2-star RB Jared Wilson, who took his official visit to Army this past weekend is going to Navy this weekend and South Alabama the weekend after ... although my guess is that the latter school just might be full by the time he is scheduled to visit there.

Speaking of official visits. The staff will be hosting ten (10) recruits this weekend ... many of which are already committed to the Black Knights, such as Ryan Bryce, Tim Kater, Jordan Funk, Michael Mbony and Isaiah Morris.

ARMY FOOTBALL BANQUET

It should be a great time to see everyone at Eisenhower Hall Ballroom on Saturday, with Military wearing their ASU A; Cadets in Full Dress over Gray and me just with a suit and tie.

This is a great opportunity for those football recruits to be part of what will be a celebratory evening, which kicks-off at 6pm.

COACHING SHUFFLE

When a program has success, other administrations of programs take notice, and of course Army’s recent success on the field has attracted plenty of attention. More specifically, it is the attention that has many of the current Black Knights’ staff members in demand.

Over this past week, I have received at least 4-5 inquiries from my counterparts on Rivals.com regarding specific coaches, the recruiting abilities, coaching styles, are they actually leaving, etc.

Those calls or DM’s aren’t coming from “Billy Bob University”, but several Publishers that cover at least two SEC schools, 2-3 Big Ten schools, etc.

Yes, it probably is just a matter of time (this year or next) before we hear about another coach leaving, but that’s the nature of college football around the country. Look across the landscape and you can see how many of Nick Saban’s football disciples are coaching elsewhere.

As we know, wide receiver coach David Corley has left the Army program and is now settling in at Big Ten Penn State as their new running back coach.

A couple of former Army players names have hit the social media circuit as potential replacements, but my guess is that head coach Jeff Monken has already narrowed down who he wants to the vacancy.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News